Monday, April 19, 2010

Reading Rain-bow: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan


Today I'm going to rec a book that I read over a year ago. I can do that right? I think yes. The reason I am revisiting The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan is because it has come out in paperback with a snazzy new cover.




Synopsis from the author's website:

In Mary's world, there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?

Okay, see - you're interested now, aren't you? This book is riveting. That's the word I will choose. It's a deep, dark story that is all about the "what ifs" that I love so much. It has elements of surprise and fear, but among that is beauty in humanity. I think that is what I loved about this book - the revelation of strength in character and love amongst chaos. It's beautifully done.

Someone asked me if this book is about zombies. Yes, it is, but I don't remember that part as much as I do the human element. Mary, the main character, is extremely determined and shows amazing amounts of courage - not just in facing the "Unconsecrated," but also in the emotional sense. She's a wonderfully written heroine.

This isn't exactly 'light' or 'fun' reading, but it's definitely captivating and I think it will leave an impression on you, as it clearly has on me.

Follow Carrie Ryan on twitter. Carrie's Twitter Bio: I write about zombies. And love. But not zombie love. My books: THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH (out now) & THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES (out 3/9/10)






1 comment:

  1. I had to come and comment. I read the first few pages after you told me you were recommending this book and I'm hooked! How often do you get to tell people about a book and use the phrase "It's like 'The Village' meets 'Night of the Living Dead'!"? Fab. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!