Monday, March 8, 2010

Reading Rain-bow: The Black Jewels Trilogy








**waving** Hi guys! Rain is still feeling under the weather (<-- see what I did there?) from her oral surgery, so you're stuck with a book recommendation from me today!

I know what you're thinking: "Meadow, why did you use the picture of Rain with the visor?"  Because it's hysterical!

You may also be thinking "Meadow, you read real books?" The answer to that is: Of course! Twilight was a real book, after all!

One of those times when I picked up a real, paste and paper book was to read The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. It's not YA, and it's not light. It is lush, magical, brooding, funny, and completely captivating.



I'm a lover of dark fantasy. Give me some magic powers and an epic battle between good and evil and I'm in heaven. (Or hell, depending on the fantasy and set-up.) The Black Jewels Trilogy follows just such an epic struggle, in the form of some of the most powerful females I've ever read in fiction. The set-up is a society run by people who have been born with special powers, or gifts. Their inherent power is represented by their Jewels. Over time, the system has been exploited and corrupted to such a degree that war - and a complete breakdown of society - is imminent. Enter Jaenelle Angelline, a child who may just be the answer to a prophecy, and the salvation the world is hoping for. Mixed in with the drama is, of course, romance and intrigue.

The Black Jewels Trilogy is a compilation of three novels: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, and Queen of Darkness. If you like your fantasy less unicorns-and-rainbows and more black-crows-and-rainclouds, you should definitely give it a try. I consider it one of my top five favorite books, and I think you will too.

You can find Anne Bishop's website, along with more information about her other novels, here: http://www.annebishop.com/index.html

If you've read the series, let me know what you think!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you Meadow! I am going to go crawl back in bed now with my pills and my soft foods.

    Oh - and I really liked the Black Jewels Trilogy. It was darker than I expected, but once I got used to it, I couldn't put it down. Good rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all kinds of magical fantasy worlds so this sounds good to me!!! Now if only I could get rid of this pesky day job so I could sit and read all day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book where power is represented by the characters' jewels, huh? Good thing they're women then. *snort* Sorry, this is what happens when I try to catch up on blogs past my bedtime. Dark fantasy is right up my alley. The trilogy has been on my list of TBR since you first told me about it... now I just have to stop reading FF and relearn how to pick up a bound book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the other 5 books? When I went to Anne Bishop's website there were 8 books under Black Jewels.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!