Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reading Rainbow: Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-


I've decided that we should get in the Halloween spirit around here, and to do that, we will rec only spOOky books for the month of October!  Now, if you've been around WhimFic a while, you know that spOOky for me is... well, not really all that spOOky.  But, I promise they'll have a bit of scary to them!  First on the list is a book that I loved because it had some heart-jumping moments, but it was also hilarious (wait until you read the running-across-the-field-in-underwear scene - trust me!).  Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore is a perfect start for our spOOky book recs!

Photobucket
From Goodreads:

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

Okay, so if you read this and wonder why I thought it qualified as spOOky, please remember I AM A WIMP.  So let's just get that out of the way.  But, it is a ghost story!  Ghosts are scary!  And it has mystery, suspense, and moments that made me a little afraid to turn off the light, to be honest. 

I have to say, I loved Amy Goodnight.  She's such a perfect main character.  She continually laughed at herself (and her actions) which made me laugh out loud throughout the book.  I also really liked the "witch" element of the book.  The members of Amy's family are witches, but there is a modernity to them - especially in the character of Phin, Amy's sister - that makes it all the more interesting.  And funny, which you all know I love.

Can we talk about The Guy?  Because, while he has no sword, he does have a cowboy hat and boots!  Not only that, he can hold his own (and then some) against Amy's sharp tongue, and the banter between them makes the book all the more fun. 

So, if you're ready to start reading some slightly-scary books to get yourself in the Halloween spirit, start with Texas Gothic!  It's a perfect book for this time of the year. 

2 comments:

  1. I am moving this up on my TBR. Loved your review....you had me at hat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Texas Gothic is filled with charming quirkiness, and great writing. What's there not to like with a cute cranky cowboy, tree climbing Houdini goats, Go Go Gadget Gidget girl, rump scratching cows, and a love story like a prize fight.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!