Sunday, May 30, 2010

Reading Rain-bow: Fallen by Lauren Kate

So, I definitely picked the wrong week to read Fallen by Lauren Kate. You see, we're leaving for Africa this week so I have about 4,500 things to do, but this book made we want to leave it all. There were times I literally had to force myself to put it down.




Synopsis from goodreads:

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

First, can we talk about that cover? It's gorgeous. And intriguing. It's well done because this whole book is intriguing, really.

I love Fallen because it draws you in so entirely. Although the prologue does give a lot away (you could take @heatherwpetty's goodreads suggestion to skip it altogether) I was still reading like wildfire to find out what exactly was going on. It's a suck-you-in-book, no question. My only gripe, however, is that I still feel a little lost. Of course, this only makes me want to read the sequel, Torment (which also has a beautiful cover) RIGHT NOW. (It's due out September 28, so you may want to wait until then to read Fallen.)

Another thing I love about this book is the main character, Luce. And let me be honest, there were times I wanted to throw my book at her. She has these moments of severe insecurity when it comes to the Hot Boys on Campus (Daniel and Cam) at times I found it nauseating. But then I remembered what it's like to be young and unsure of yourself. Luce's past makes it all the more so believable that she might have trouble believing in herself. But then, there's this moment... I don't want to ruin it, but I wanted to stand up and cheer for the girl. So, if you're reading and are bothered by her insecurities, keep going, she will redeem herself.

Oh, and then of course there's Daniel and his violet-grey eyes. Oh and also Cam. (Yeah, I'm #teamdaniel) And... woah. Lauren Kate knows how to write a kissy scene - that's all I'm saying. As usual, I'll let you read about the Hot Boys on your own. *grins*

I definitely recommend Fallen, but if you're like me and have trouble with ambiguous endings, you might want to wait for Torment's release. And if you've already read it, I'd love to hear your thought - especially on the ending. Just don't forget to give a **SPOILER ALERT** if you do.

Follow Lauren Kate on Twitter


Read a fun review of Fallen at Bewitched Bookworms





3 comments:

  1. OOOoOoO thanks for linking to our review!!

    I loved Fallen so much, Daniel got the second he flipped Luce off.. I just thought WTF but was full into this story.

    Totally agree with you the cover is awesome

    Did you read the first chapter of Torment? I didn't I would hate it not to be able to read on...

    Have fun in Africa!!!!!! Enjoy :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel was an interesting character. I have to admit that I had issues with the Prologue and the very very slow development of the plot in general. About 2/3 of the way through, the plot picked up and the mythology unfolded. It became a really wonderful read.

    I am looking forward to the sequel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the book I finished reading prior to inhaling Linger. It was good but it's not a book I would necessarily recommend. It took FOREVER to get interesting and it was obvious from 1/3 in that Daniel was good; Cam was bad; Gabbe and the goth chick were good... it was abundantly clear that Daniel was an angel (and if we're looking for angels... hellllloooooo Patch Cipriano) and it just seemed tired to me.

    It literally took me 6 weeks to finish this book. The only thing that pushed me through was my refusal to pick up Linger until I had finished what I started with Fallen.

    By contrast I finished Linger in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!