Monday, May 24, 2010

Reading Rain-bow: The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

I'd been dancing around The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan for quite a while before I finally caved and bought it. I just wasn't so sure about a book with the word, "demon," in the title. (I'm a wimp - remember?) Anyway, I am so happy that I finally listened to the masses of TDL fans - they were right!



(yes, I had to include the UK cover - because I like it better.)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.

Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is des-perate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.

Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

Fun things about this book - While it's written in the third person, it's told mainly from Nick's perspective. I always enjoy reading books from the Hot Boy's perspective. (Oh, did I mention? Nick is definitely a HBWS. Well, sort of, but I can't get into the details...)

Another interesting thing about this book is that the relationship between the Hot Boy and the Cute Girl was not at all the central focus of the book. What was more important was the relationship between Nick and his brother Alan. I found that to be refreshing in many ways and it served to further the story well.

Finally, action. This book was jam-packed (yes, I just said "jam-packed") with drama, mystery, and lots of swords and magic. (So you know I loved it.) My favorite part (without giving too much away) was the dance at the Goblin Market. I loved the imagery of that scene and the beauty in the face of such darkness. (You'll see.)

And, whoa. The ending. This book has a whopper of an ending. Obviously I won't say much, but I am SO happy that The Demon's Covenant is already available! I already downloaded the iBook and and 200 pages in - just a day after finishing the first book. Yes, I'm hooked. I suggest you join the masses (and myself) and read these books!

Follow Sarah Rees Brennan on twitter
You can also find more from Sarah Rees Brennan on the Merry Sisters of Fate!



2 comments:

  1. HA!!! Glad you read it. I love the Sumerian mythology. The characters. For once, I loved the geeky hot boy. Team Alan. Although, lest, not forget that Nick is THE Hot Boy with Sword.

    YAY!!! Now we go both go on and read the just released sequel, Demon's Covenant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one but I HATE cliffhanger endings! I'm waiting to find out if Demon's Covenant has an alright ending to start the first.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!