Tuesday, February 16, 2010

She'll always have Perez

Okay, first, Perez Hilton can suck it. Let's get that out of the way.







*nodding* Yes, but that kinda goes without saying.







He wrote a little post about one of WF's favorite books, Shiver. In it he points out that it is being made into a movie, and that Taylor Lautner will not be playing the part of Sam. He ends it with this gem, "Besides, this sounds like it might be even stoopider than a sparkling vampire."




Oh Perez, you are so incredibly witty! *rolling my eyes*







But to get to an actual point, I've noticed that a lot of YA fantasy writers unfortunately have to face the Twilight Comparison. Granted, people who have never really read YA are most often guilty of this, but even I made a reference to Twilight in my post on Shiver (although I did say that the books aren't comparable).

In the comments, I noticed a lot of people defending Maggie Stiefvater - saying, "But this book is well-written," and encouraging the naysayers to actually read the book. (I know - crazy idea, right?) But the thing is, since Twilight has become this huge phenomena, it seems that the books and the movies have collectively become this Thing that people cannot help but compare other YA books against. People who hated Twilight think that a book about a werewolf must be terrible as well, while people who loved it will be drawn to these kinds of books like twi-fangirls to Hot Topic.


Well, it's true. Twilight did bust the "YA Paranormal Romance" genre wide open. (In fact, was that EVEN a genre before Twilight?) So, of course, every book about a mythological being is going to be measured with a Twilight-colored ruler. (In my mind it also sparkles and has copper hair, and it may drop it's pants if you turn it upside down.)

Anyway, my point is that this comparison isn't always bad. Sure, some people are turned off by Twilight and they won't rushing to buy any book that can be uttered in the same sentence. Others (*cough*me*cough*) liked Twilight but used to shy away from the YA genre. Now I have a whole new set of books that I am reading - and loving!

Besides, Maggie Stiefvater herself knows that there's no such thing as bad publicity. She tweeted about the article yesterday, saying:



Of course, since I'm a smartass, I replied:


To which SHE replied:



THAT, my friends, is the TRUE power of the internet. If they get married I totally expect an invite to the wedding.


*whispers* Meadow, you had better take me as your date. Seriously. Because meeting Maggie Stiefvater and Legolas Orlando Bloom in one night would be dreamy.





Hmm... Think they'd invite Perez?










5 comments:

  1. First let me say that I love your blog. Second I think YA authors who write about vampires or anything that remotely reminds people of twilight will get compared. For example Melissa de la Cruz and Richelle Mead both wrote vampire series about the same time S. Meyer did and its one of the main questions they gets at signings. Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instrument Series is always compared to Bella/Edward/Jacob love triangle. Alyson Noel’s The Immortals and Laurie Stolarz Deadly Little Secrets both have books in the YA/paranormal genre and they get compared to Twilight a lot. I think that S. Meyer put the spotlight on YA/Paranormal but she wasn’t the first or even the best even. Don’t get me wrong I’m a total twilight fan but I do love other YA writers. I love Maggie’s writing style and if you haven’t read her other books Lament and Ballad I would defiantly add those to your must reads. Maggie does great kissing scenes. I will fight her for Orlando’s love though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I am so glad you guys covered this. Yes, please. Perez. Eh gads. Try reading a book Perez, darlin', not just the trashy mags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that there's anything wrong with trashy mags, mind you. *raises eyebrow* That's called good reading at the doctor's office/hairdressers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Meadow, you've got tweets in high places. (Also, I want one of those rulers for my birthday.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I was tuned in from afar! I've been out of town and unconnected (shudders)...and I started Shiver while I was away and totally had that thought about the parents-and what the hell is up with that--and then I realized, okay, well, the other example I have is Twilight. But then I added Harry Potter. But, then I tapped out on other examples. But, it was just kind of funny to see this post when I finally got to log in tonight :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!